Jack-O-Lantern Stuffed Peppers
This week I tried something new and went the cute route…
Ingredients (all purchased from Trader Joes)
- 4 orange bell peppers
- 1 pack of 80/20 ground beef
- 1/3 package of the frozen brown rice
- 1/2 package of frozen roasted corn
- 1/2 package of frozen tri-colored peppers
- 1/2 chopped large yellow onion
- 2 chopped cloves of garlic
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of black beans
- Salt, pepper, chili lime powder, to season
- 2 table spoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of Mexican blend or taco blend shredded cheese
Chop the onion and garlic, sautée them on a low heat in the olive oil until tender. Add the ground meat to the onions and garlic and cook until brown. Start adding the frozen corn, peppers, diced tomatoes, black beans, brown rice and add seasoning.
Set oven to 350 Degrees. Let mixture simmer on a very low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Rinse the bell peppers, cut off the tops (not too much, don’t want to waste pepper) and gut the insides. With a small pearing knife, CAREFULLY begin to cut out small triangles for the eyes by slowing putting the knife through the pepper, and then the mouth (if you don’t have the steadiest of hands, maybe skip this part). When the peppers are finished being prepped, stand them up in an oven-safe dish and fill them with the meat and vegetable mixture. Once filled, sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of cheese on each pepper. Put the peppers in the oven for about 30 minutes or until peppers are tender and the cheese is golden-brown.
Once the peppers are cooked, they are ready to be plated and eaten.